Hello Again! Thanks to everyone reading, I LOVED the comments so keep them coming!
Here is a brief rundown of what I have been up to...
As of now, my group is still in training. Training is good overall but the days are extremely long. I do not think there is one subject they have yet to cover: tarantulas, Dengue Fever, politics, history, food, music, baseball, dominoes, EVERY medical issue known to mankind etc. etc. etc....you name it and we have been trained on it. I think I have learned more about the Dominican Republic in the past 3 weeks than I have about the United States in the past 26 years, or maybe I am actually listening for once because most of the lessons are in english so it's nice to understand something! We then have Spanish class at some point in the day. The time varies, some days its for an hour and others it is from 1:00 - 5:00, I then come home and attempt to speak Spanish until I go to bed and then wake up and do it all over again! My brain hasn't stopped hurting.
This past weekend I went to visit a current volunteer's project site. It was nice to get out of Santo Domingo, have a little freedom and get the lowdown about the Peace Corps...not in a classroom setting from someone who served 40-some years ago. I was visiting a volunteer in Imbert which was about a 3.5 hour bus ride North from Santo Domingo - but not for me! Everyone in my group was assigned to different places so we were all traveling somewhat alone. Anyways, my bus went cruising by my stop. I guess the bus driver asked numerous times if anyone needed to get off in Imbert and I must have missed the memo - 3 times. Again, that's my spanish for ya! I finally arrived and met up with the volunteer I was visiting. It was nice to ask questions and get honest answers, see the living conditions and relax a little. We did have to kill a rat in the first few hours of my arrival - I did not do the killing, I just filmed it. All in all, I would say it was a successful weekend.
This Thursday I depart for Constanza for 5 1/2 weeks. My large group breaks into smaller groups based on the sector they will be working in. I am working in the youth sector so 25 of us will be living in the same community and doing more training. From my understanding, the training is more focused and we will actually be working with youth groups and the community. Constanza is in the mountains so I hear it gets "chilly" which is exciting because I haven't stopped sweating. I am also looking forward to getting to know a smaller group of people and having a little more freedom to go out and such!
Thats my life as of now...there are sooo many things going on and I still never know what to write about! Here are just a few random thoughts...
-I haven't had a cold drink since I have arrived. They don't even chill milk.
-I have had Ramen for breakfast three times...imagine waking up sweating and having to eat a massive bowl of hot noodles.
-I have made some awkward translations, for example, I read my paper out loud today that stated that I was "aroused" all weekend. I have laughed sooo hard at some of the things I have said once someone tells me what it really means. I have for sure kept my spanish class and host family laughing as well.
-My Dona (host mom) is taking me to get my hair done on Wednesday...I am a little nervous because I never know what is going on and I just say "si" to everything. Could be a recipe for disaster.
-My feet are covered in mosquito bites.
-My host family still is feeding me the largest mounds of food although I have yet to finish an entire plate.
-It has rained everyday the past week because of the hurricanes.
-I did a horrible job packing.
-I have a big spanish test Wednesday. The test is oral so I am sure that will be interesting.
-Whenever I tell a Dominican I am from St. Louis, they ask if I know Pujols. My answer - "si".
- I have heard little girls singing Justin Bieber in some of the most rural parts of the country.
Young Dominican Girl: "do you know Justin Bieber"
Me: "si".
-I am on my fourth book (any/all suggestions are much appreciated)!
-My host brothers take guitar lessons once a week and a bunch of boys in the neighborhood bring their guitars over and play together. It's great. I have heard the same song from them everyday...they are improving though and I'm considering making them the next Menudo.
-I still love my host family. I am going to miss them, they have been great.
That's it for now! I will post pictures soon....I have yet to take any, sorry! Also, please forgive my spelling and such, I am not even going to reread or spell check what I just wrote. My brain is too fried to even attempt to make corrections. Thanks for understanding!
Until next time! Miss you all xoxox
LOLING!!!! PLEASE post a pic of your new hair doo!!!!! I am obsessed that you say you know Pujols and Bieber!! Sounds like you are learning a ton and are almost fluent in Espanol - Senorita Ross would be SOOOOO proud!!! Why do you say you packed horribly!?!? Anything I can send - more deodorant or bug spray? So exciting you are headed to the mountains next - you better start taking some cool pics - I want to see them and later down the road you will regret not having them - get with it missy!!!
ReplyDeleteI miss you everyday!!! I drove by Bella Napoli today and got really sad that we are long overdue for a date and will be for a couple more years :(
XOXOXO
girlfriend!!! i agree with everything that Ward said!! please respond to why you packed horribly and PLEASE post pics of your hairdo...what exactly is getting done. good lordy!
ReplyDeleteanyways, miss you lots!! xoxo
OMG you just made me laugh out loud. I hope you get corn rows or braids with beads when you get your hair done. Please take a pic of that. I think I would have passed out seeing a rat being killed. Hell, probably seeing a rat in general would have made me vomit.
ReplyDeleteI just finished some books this summer and I can send them to you if you want. I read "Girl with Dragon Tattoo" and "girl who played with fire." I am currently reading the third installation.. "girl who kicked the hornets nest." Other suggestions.. "Beautiful Boy" by David Sheff and "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.
I am so happy that you are having a great time! Good luck with the Spanish!! Love and miss you libs!!!
Hey sister. That was funny. Hope all is well in DR. Tell your family hello and take some darn pictures will ya. Cant wait to talk to ya next. Have fun and stay cool
ReplyDeleteSweating all day and still having a good time, major props to you. You make me feel like a big you know what b/c I'd be home by now. I'm happy to hear that you're happy. Keep these posts coming, really enjoy hearing how you're doing. Love ya.
ReplyDeleteps - norm says hello - puked up his whole dinner on the carpet last night, he was really sick. it was gross. doing great today though. he misses you i'm sure, and larry.
Libby, I love reading about what you are doing. Thank you for sharing all this with all of us. Tell us more about your host family. Tell us about the artwork on your blog page.
ReplyDeleteI love James Michener who writes these ridiculously long books that are historical fiction. He wrote "Carribean" which goes back to the first natives, then the Spanish and the importance of the Caribbean including the DR in all of this. I would love to send you this remarkable book if you would like me to. Just give me an address and it is yours! I wish I was with you - I really do.
Aunt Linda
Lib!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to be able to follow your amazing travels and adventures. Keep this up - it will be such a great way for you to look back at your time in DR.
Ramen for breakfast? Sounds too much like college to me... Please let me know what can be sent - maybe some fruit loops? :) I've got plenty of books, too, so just include the address in your next posting. Miss you, hope you're having the time of your life!
Ellie
Libster! I loved reading your blog post. You are hysterical! Training sounds a bit more intense than Tanzania ;-) Probably a good thing. Sounds like you are having a blast, I am so happy for you! Is there anything you need? I can send you stuff! Let me know! Miss you and love you and love hearing your stories! :-)
ReplyDeletehey there...did you eat the rat? also, I would like to send you and your new brothers some pujols shirts. just t-shirts, not jerseys. they will probably get stolen by the man. eitherway, you should call more people than just OD (Original Dona) and Dad. And I agree will all others...post pictures. how do I put my name? figure you know who I am.
ReplyDeleteps. larry has been pooping in the basement. it is gross. we will see what happens tomorrow. he misses you, and norman.
pbp
OMG lol!! I hope your spanish test went well and you didn't talk about being aroused throughout the whole thing (quite possibly the funniest thing i've ever heard). And Justin Bieber, seriously? What is this world coming to?! And yes, major props to you for everything...I probably would have gone home crying after missing my bus stop let alone having to kill a rat! And what does "chilly" mean? 90 degrees? And you couldn't pay me to drink warm milk...ew.
ReplyDeleteKeep the posts coming! I love hearing about the adventures of libby. And take some damn pictures already!! Norman says hi. And he didn't puke once, he puked like 5 times. Oh and everytime I hear "baby i like it" from jersey shore i think of you...miss you tons!!!!
Hey Libby from SC!!!
ReplyDeleteIt is so great to read about you and your adventures...I am already addicted to your blog and check it often. Some great books we read lately are Little Bee, A Reliable Wife, Cutting for Stone, let us know if we can send you any of these. Stay safe, take care and post soon with pictures would be a treat! Tom and Diane
HAHAHAHA!! i'm cracking up right now. picturing you getting your hair did with your host mama. i really miss you alot. i was so happy when i saw your text the other night! whenever i hear "my dougie" i want to cry because i have no one to dougie with. PLEASE teach the kids over there how to do it. LOVE YOU SO MUCH LiZE! thinking of you everyday!
ReplyDelete